Saturday May 5 Match Reports

AYL teams V Blacktown Districts SFA

U13s: 1-1 DRAW
Lloyd Ham

The first to take the field at Pluim Park on Saturday was the U13s side. Taking on a strong Blacktown Districts side, the boys were up against it from the start. Despite this, they put in a great performance and came out with an obvious intent to attack. The ball moved through the midfield better than it has all season and the team created a lot of opportunities on goal. Coach Mark Owens said of the game, "overall I felt they dominated the majority of the match, unfortunately we just couldn't find the back of the net on more than one occasion." 

U14s: 2-1 LOSS
Joel Dickey

Our U14s were next to play and were looking to replicate the U13s winning form before them. The team started well, dominating possession and playing out from the back, utilising the middle third. The boys managed to create a number of great combinations going forward, and changing their point of attack. With so many chances on goal, the boys were unlucky to only come away with only one goal for the day. Coach Chris OConnor said, "I admired the way the boys kept their heads up and kept encouraging one another after we conceded a penalty. Our downfall on the day was finishing and transitioning to defence higher up the park, however, overall I am happy with how the boys played". 

U15s: 1-0 WIN
Luke Dargan

The 15s were next to take the pitch and put on a competitive match with Blacktown which saw the CCU team come out on top. Another ling range goal from Luke Dargan would be the only goal of the match and secured the win for the 15s. The backline continued their composed play through pressure, and some combination play displayed by the team created a number of chances, and saw some of the best play they've had this season. 

U16s: 3-2 WIN
Goalscorers- Jarred Steen (x3)

The 16s were the last of our AYL teams to take the field on Saturday and really dominated possession throughout such a tough match. Despite conceding an early goal against the run of play as punishment for not finalising their own chances, CCU showed real character and kept fighting. This determination was rewarded in the second half as Jarred Steen managed to net three goals and bring home the win for CCU, despite a late goal to Blacktown. 

Seniors V South Coast Flame FC

U18s: 6-0 WIN
Nicholas Batarseh, Nathan Cowell, Lucas Dominello, Jack Driscoll, Luke Jacobs

For the fourth week running the 18s boys got off to the perfect start with another goal inside the opening 5 minutes to Jack Driscoll. The intensity and desire to win the ball back in the first half was excellent and something that the team had spoken about pre-game. Further goals to Nathan Cowell and a third on the stroke of half time through Luke Jacobs, gave the 18s a three-nil lead going in at the break. In the second half, the boys continued  to press high and play the ball around with good ball speed. This resulted in another three goals added to the scoreline, one the result of an own goal. The final score ended up 6-0, and Coach Alex Powell described the match as, "probably one of our strongest performances of the year so far and to have five different goal scorers and another clean sheet was extremely pleasing." 

U20s: 1-0 WIN
Tyson Cosgrove

A great team performance again. The team created the most chances throughout the game against a team that sat back and made it very difficult for us to break them down. The players moved the ball round at a high tempo which was good to see that they are finding ways to break teams down and make them work harder then we do. This made it easier for the players to close out the game once Tyson Cosgrove drove into space to finish a low drive into the bottom corner. A great performance by the boys who will be looking to continue their winning ways next week against UNSW FC. 

1st Grade: 4-1 WIN
Goalscorers- Cade Mapu, Josh Swadling, Geordie Howe, Adam Woodbine

Playing their third game in 6 days was always going to be a test for the durability and fitness for our small CCU squad and the boys started the game brightly. Cade Mapu continued his goal scoring form converting a cross on the far post in the first 10 minutes and was dangerous throughout the game. Scoring early seemed to relax the team a little too much and the ball speed and general tempo of the match became very one paced for the remainder of the half. Despite this, CCU still managed to create a couple of clear cut chances but due to good keeping or wasteful finishing we could not extend the lead. The oppositions main threat was coming from set pieces. CCU went into the halftime break with a 1-0 lead. 

The boys came out in the second half knowing that they needed to raise the speed of the game and that the next goal would be crucial. It was from Woodbine corner that Geordie Howe converted aggressively at the near post, his first for the season, a bullet header. This gave the team the lift they needed, and shortly after, Josh Swadling converted from the spot for his 8th of the league campaign to date. Adam Woodbine then extended the lead to 4 late in the half following in a shot their keeper could only parry. This demonstrated great perseverance and mental resilience after not finishing previous opportunities in the match. Head Coach Stu Davis said the match, "It was disappointing to concede in the final minute sacrificing the clean sheet but having played three games in 6 days and winning them all, I am very happy with the result." Next Saturday will see CCU take on State League heavyweights UNSW FC at Valentine Park. 

Details and highlights from our U9-U12 SAP teams games on Sunday will be posted throughout the week so keep an eye on our Facebook page!